There are many great Bollywood movies, and the best Bollywood movies list can vary depending on personal preferences. However, here are some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful Bollywood movies of all time:
- Sholay (1975)
- Mughal-E-Azam (1960)
- Mother India (1957)
- Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995)
- Lagaan (2001)
- Kabhi Kabhie (1976)
- Anand (1971)
- Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (2011)
- 3 Idiots (2009)
- Gully Boy (2019)
- Taare Zameen Par (2007)
- Black (2005)
- Devdas (2002)
- Pakeezah (1972)
- Swades (2004)
- Omkara (2006)
- Barfi! (2012)
- Andaz Apna Apna (1994)
- Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar (1992)
- Guide (1965)
Again, this is just a small sampling of some of the best Bollywood movies. There are many more great movies to explore, and different people will have different opinions on what constitutes the “best.”
- Sholay (1975) – Considered one of the greatest Hindi films ever made, Sholay is an action-adventure film about two criminals hired to capture a ruthless bandit.
- Mughal-E-Azam (1960) – A historical epic romance film set in the Mughal era, Mughal-E-Azam tells the story of a prince who falls in love with a court dancer, leading to a conflict with his father, the Emperor.
- Mother India (1957) – A classic Bollywood film, Mother India tells the story of a poverty-stricken rural woman who raises her sons alone and faces various challenges.
- Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995) – Often referred to as DDLJ, this romantic drama film is about two young people from different cultures who fall in love and try to convince their families to accept their relationship.
- Lagaan (2001) – A sports drama set during the British Raj in India, Lagaan is about a group of Indian villagers who challenge their British rulers to a cricket match to avoid paying oppressive taxes.
- Kabhi Kabhie (1976) – A romantic drama film, Kabhi Kabhie explores the themes of love, family, and societal expectations through the stories of several characters over the course of many years.
- Anand (1971) – A drama film about a terminally ill man who teaches his friend to live life to the fullest and embrace the joys of living, despite his illness.
- Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (2011) – A coming-of-age film about three friends who go on a bachelor trip to Spain and discover new aspects of themselves and their relationships.
- 3 Idiots (2009) – A comedy-drama film about the lives of three engineering students, their friendship, and their struggles with the Indian education system.
- Gully Boy (2019) – A musical drama film that follows the journey of a young man from the slums of Mumbai who dreams of becoming a rapper.
These are just some brief descriptions of a few of the movies on the list, but they should give you an idea of what each movie is about.